11am except for 4th Sunday
Childrey is an attractive downland village of approximately 400 residents. 1996 marks the millenium of recorded Christianity in the village and this has been celebrated by the churches and village community in various ways. Childrey Methodist Church was opened in 1849 and interesting documentation about its history still exists, (Until Methodist Union there was also a Primitive Methodist Chapel in the village).
Unfortunately in March 1986 the Chapel frontage collapsed without warning. The congregation decided to rebuild, a process which was held up by planning and access problems. Using proceeds from the sale of land and the Chapel cottage, a multipurpose building was erected and opened on 22nd October 1994. Several village organisations use the buildings for their activities.
During their displacement from the Chapel building, the Methodist congregation were offered use of part of the 14th century Parish Church for their worship. This hospitality was greatly appreciated and relations between Anglicans and Methodists continue to strengthen.
United worship is held for Christmas, Harvest, Mothering Sunday and on other special occasions. The ecumenical Sunday School, held at the Methodist Church, is involved in the monthly Family Service. This service, started during the last year and alternating between the Methodist and Parish Churches, is now established as a regular part of the worship of the church in Childrey.
Shared social events have also proved popular. The Methodist Fellowship at Childrey is small. There are 11 members and 12-15 attend Sunday worship. The service is usually held in the morning, although there is a monthly evening service. A Women’s Fellowship meets monthly at the Methodist Church. Occasional series of study and fellowship groups are held in the village.